Mid Assignment Move

Academic Year Room Change Period Application Process

**Please note that the room change application will not be available on MyHomeAtPenn until the specific application dates of the room change period. **

During the room change period, complete an application online at MyHomeAtPenn.The room change form can be found under the 'Room Change Request' tab. The application must be submitted online during the room change application period. If you are offered a room change, you must move when specified by the Assignments Office. You receive new keys at the Information Center of your new building. You must properly check out by returning the key at the Information Center of your old building. You must do this on the same day to avoid being charged for two rooms.

Types of Room Change

  • Room Change into Friend's Vacancy:If you have a friend(s) who has an available space in their room and you would like to move in with them, you will need to submit a Room Change Request via MyHomeAtPenn and all prospective roommates must send an email to the Housing Assignments Office at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it to confirm and agree to the request by the end of the room change application period.
  • Mutual Trade: To “mutually trade” or "swap" rooms, you and the person you are trading with must both complete and submit a room change request via MyHomeAtPenn. You must do this to ensure that your official mailing address changes, your rent is properly adjusted, and that you are officially registered to be authorized for lock-out keys. You must officially return/pick-up keys and check in/out at the Information Centers.
  • Room Change: If you would like to change to another room, submit a request at MyHomeAtPenn. Enter all the locations/room types you are interested in. You will only be offered a change if one of your preferences is available. Room change applications will be randomly assigned a priority number for assignment. It doesn’t matter which room change day you return your application as long as it is submitted by the deadline.

Academic Year Room Change Application Dates

Please note that the room change application will not be available on MyHomeAtPenn until the specific application dates of the room change period.

  • Fall: Apply Monday, September 25 and Tuesday, September 26, 2017. You will be notified if a room is available on Friday, September 29. You must accept the assignment by Monday, October 2 and move by Tuesday, October 10.
  • Mid-year: Apply Thursday, November 9 - Friday, November 10, 2017. You will be notified if a room is available by Monday, November 20, and you must accept the assignment by Wednesday, November 22. 
    • Special Instructions for mid-year changes: Your Residential Services Manager (RSM) will e-mail you regarding the timing of your move. You will have two scenarios depending on your circumstances and the availability of your new room.  These scenarios are outlined below. Please be aware that only apartments or rooms that remain fully vacant from December 22, 2017 to January 6, 2018 will be cleaned by the University.  Residents changing rooms or moving in mid-year can follow up their Residential Service Manager if they have any questions about room cleaning.
      • Scenario 1: If you are leaving before your new room is available, move all of your belongings out of your current room by Friday, December 22, noon, and properly check out at your Information Center. You can store belongings with a friend or take them home because another resident will be assigned to your space. You may not pick up keys or move-in to your new room until January 6, 2018.
      • Scenario 2: If your new room is available and you are still on campus on or before noon on December 22, 2017,  you may be able to move to your new assignment before break.  Your RSM will work with you to coordinate your move.  While moving before break is not feasible for every circumstance, we will do our best to work with you. Please keep in mind that if you are moving into a room where a resident first has to move out, you may be asked to move in after noon on Friday, December 22, but no later than 5pm.
    • No extensions, beyond December 22 at noon, will be given for mid-year move-out.
    • No students will be given permission to move in earlier than January 6 at 9AM for spring move-in.
  • Spring:Apply Thursday, January 11 - Friday, January 12, 2018.  You will be notified if a room is available on Wednesday, January 17. You must accept the assignment by Friday, January 19, and move by Tuesday, January 23.

Summer Room Change Form/Room Selection Room Change

If you are a new Freshmen, Transfer or Exchange student or an Upperclass or Graduate student who received a housing assignment but would prefer a different room type and/or location you may apply for a room change using the Room Change Request Form at MyHomeAtPenn.upenn.edu.
  • Beginning February 26 and ending July 31, complete the room change request at MyHomeAtPenn. You may request a mutual swap with another student, a specific space in a friend's room, or a general room change. If you are interested in a general room change, include specific room types and locations you are interested in and use the additional comments section to give information you think would be helpful in finding a new room (example: "anything with a kitchen", or "any room with a private bedroom," etc).  You will only be offered spaces that meet your criteria.
  • As spaces become available through cancellation, they will be offered to students on the room change waitlist.
  • If you are offered a space, you must accept it in writing to  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it within 48 business hours.  If we do not hear from you, the offer expires. You will remain in your originally selected room.
  • If you want to apply as a group with potential roommates, each person must submit a request. Use the "additional comments" section to include names if you have more than one roommate. If the group is offered a room change, each person must respond by the deadline.
  • If none of your preferred room types becomes available by August 6, you will keep your original assignment.
  • If you do not receive a room change over the summer, you can request a change through one of the Academic Year processes, outlined above.

Types of Rooms Available

For the fall room change period, availability is very limited because occupancy is very high. For second semester and spring room changes, there is increased availability because of students graduating or leaving to study abroad. Freshmen can only apply to room change into a room type listed on the freshmen rate chart.

Rent Change Information

You may have an increase or decrease in rent depending on the room type. Also, be aware that you must pick up and return room keys on the date specified or you may incur additional rent charges.

Room Housekeeping

Partially occupied rooms are not cleaned. When moving out, residents are expected to leave the room in “move in” condition for the next occupant.

Address and Mailbox Change Information

Mail and Package services will be notified of your room change, but, especially during heavy move-in or room change time periods, it can take a while for your mail to be re-routed.  If you are experiencing any issues with mail or packages post-room change, please contact This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Urgent Situation Considerations

If at any time you have a serious problem, you should contact your House staff (RA, GA or House Dean) for help.

For further information, please contact the Assignments Office by writing This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or calling 215-898-8271.

Maintaining correct address information is important so you can receive information about your child from JCPS—and to make sure your child's school has accurate emergency contact information. 

To change your address, you should provide a new proof of address to the school or the JCPS Registration Site (4309 Bishop Lane). Proof of address may include the following:

  • Utility bill (water or electric/gas bill)
  • Lease
  • House contract
  • Paycheck or paycheck stub
  • SSI or other government check

Or you may update your address or provide proof of address electronically by clicking here.

Planning to move during the school year? 

If a student’s address changes in the middle of a school year, parents may choose to enroll their child in a new school that serves the new address or to remain at the current assigned school for the remainder of the school year as long as:

  • The parents can provide transportation for their child or
  • There is a safe path to a bus stop and space on a bus on an already-existing route to the current school.

0 thoughts on “Mid Assignment Move”


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *