Learn how to write a successful college application essay using the three-step process for writing your personal college admissions essay.
Gaining entrance to just about any college or university continues to get harder as more and more applicants are applying for a limited number of spaces. How can you improve your chances to being admitted to the college or university of your choice? By writing a stellar personal essay as part of your college admissions application.
It may be only 500 words — or sometimes only 100-250 words — but the admissions essay(s) portion of a college application can mean the difference between acceptance and rejection. How you write your personal essay shows the admissions committee why you are different from other applicants. It provides information about you that test scores, grades, and extracurricular pursuits just cannot.
You can use the essay to describe a favorite activity, to tell a story about yourself, or even a story about your dog, but make sure to really use it — in a way that captures the readers attention and shows that you are exceptional.
So how do you write a college application essay? Writing the college application essay can be one of the most daunting parts of applying to college. To help you get started, we’ve published these college essay guides from EssayEdge.com, with thoughts on brainstorming ideas, choosing a topic, and how to write an effective and powerful essay.
Once you’ve gone through the three steps, then take a look at the eight free sample college application essays.
Three-Step Process to Writing Successful College Application Essays:
- Step One: Brainstorming Topic Ideas
- Step Two: Selecting An Essay Topic
- Step Three: Writing the Essay, Tips for Success
Free Sample College Application Essays:
For access to 100 free sample successful admissions essays, visit EssayEdge.com, the company The New York Times calls “the world’s premier application essay editing service.” You’ll also find other great essay and editing resources (some free and some fee-based) at EssayEdge.
See also our college application essay articles:
Return to Teenage Jobs, Careers, and College — Including College and Career Choices.
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.
Admissions Representative Cover Letter
Admissions Representatives provide support to prospective students to an educational institution and act as the first point of contact between the school and those who are looking to attend its courses. Job duties of an Admissions Representative include: attending college fairs, reviewing student applications, determining student eligibility, collaborating with high school management, offering information on admission procedures, creating presentation packages, organizing training programs, and visiting high schools.
A well-written example cover letter for Admissions Representative should focus on the following job skills and qualifications:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of educational programs and admission rules
- Customer service orientation
- Selling skills
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with database applications
- Presentation skills and self-confidence
- Attention to details and observation spirit
- A professional manner
Similar Admissions Representative abilities and experience are visible in the sample cover letter displayed below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Admissions Representative Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Chavez:
Upon learning of your search for an Admissions Representative, I was eager to send my resume for your consideration. As an enthusiastic and motivated individual with experience in recruiting new students and supporting candidates throughout the admission process, I would be a valuable asset to Yorkshire College’s team in this role.
My background includes more than six years of experience contacting prospective students, conducting face-to-face and phone interviews, and coordinating campus visits as an Admissions Representative for Berkeley City College. With strong inner motivation and superior organization talents, I excel in implementing key recruitment strategies, meeting—or surpassing—admissions goals, and connecting with a broad range of individuals to drive school interest and enrollment.
Highlights of my qualifications include…
- Performing a full range of admissions functions, contacting up to 24,250 prospective students and advising them on program offerings, benefits, and requirements to ensure top-performing student recruitment and optimal program matches.
- Leading information-gathering sessions across the country to promote institutional benefits, provide detailed overviews of class offerings, and educate potential students on accreditation requirements.
- Orchestrating and co-facilitating campus tours, new student orientations, prospective student events, career fairs, and registration day activities.
- Guiding new students through the admissions process with one-on-one follow-up to ensure seamless process completion and achieve superior student experiences.
- Demonstrating expertise in admissions documentation, domestic and global travel, interpersonal communications, and high-impact presentations.
With my demonstrated commitment to achieving—or exceeding—admissions goals, I am well prepared to extend my record of success to your team at Yorkshire College. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this position and my qualifications with you further.
Thank you for your consideration.
Stephanie T. Davila